WU LYF - Go Tell Fire To The Mountain

WU LYF (pronounced woo life) are a band from Manchester, England. They are infamous for creating a mystery about themselves by not taking part in interviews and releasing minimal information to the press. It may seem kind of juvenile in a way, but to me it makes them all about the music. They don't care if you like them.

Recently I watched them perform on David Letterman's talk show. An amazing performance followed by the band immediately exiting the studio before Letterman could get anything out of them. It was kind of amusing to watch the front man, Ellery James Roberts, shake Letterman's hand, put a beanie hat on and walk away.

The music reminds me of Explosions in the Sky in some aspect, while the vocals are gnarling and almost unintelligible. I often found myself misinterpreting the lyrics. Tom Waits seems to be an influence on the vocal style; difficult to achieve, but it makes their sound unique.

Their debut album, 'Go Tell Fire To The Mountain', is a record I have been spinning a lot lately; and so should you.


1 comments:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.